So my friend Heather is a rumchata drinker, but complained that it was so expensive. I came up with my own recipe for her and she loved it. Super easy too, you should have most things on hand already. As for the milk I think that 2 percent or whole would taste better or you could add a little half and half to some skim milk.
So basically your making the non alcoholic base for the drink then adding in vanilla rum and ice to taste. This makes a small pitcher of rumchata then add 1/2 cup rum and some ice. If you want to make just the base and pour singe drinks, then add a shot (or a half shot) of rum and half a glass of ice to a glass, the pour base over that until full.
- 3 cups milk
- 1 cup simple syrup ( ½ cup sugar, ½ cup water)
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- a pinch of nutmag (a little goes a long way)
- Add to your liking:
- vanilla rum
- first make the simple syrup in a small pan on the stove top with sugar and water a heat on medium heat until sugar is dissolved
- let simple syrup cool
- in pitcher add milk, syrup, cinnamon, vanilla and nutmeg.
- mix well
- add ice and rum to taste (I started with about ½ cup of rum)
- serve immediately