A New York Style Crumb Cake with lots of crumb topping & sprinkled with powdered sugar.
This New York Style Crumb Cake is one of my all time favorite recipes! I’ve made it so many times now I’ve lost track. It’s from the amazing Cook’s Illustrated Baking Book which has so many great recipes. This crumb cake recipe is very addicting. I’m not going to lie my favorite part about this recipe is the buttery crumb topping! The cake itself is amazing & moist just like a crumb cake should be. Now this recipe calls for cake flour & I highly recommend using it instead of all-purpose flour. I’m usually not a big fan of cake flour but I specifically buy it for this recipe because I think it turns out perfect in taste & texture with it.
With the crumb topping (shown above) I would start out by adding 1 1/2 cups of cake flour & then if it needs it add up to 1/4 cup more, you just don’t want it to get too dry. You want it to stay moist enough so you can crumble it over the batter before you bake it.
When your on step #3 your batter will be dry & crumbly before you add the eggs, yogurt, & vanilla (like the first picture shown above) but don’t worry after you mix in the wet ingredients it will turn light & fluffy.
- -For Crumb Topping-
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup packed brown sugar
- ¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 8 tablespoon (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 1½ cups cake flour (+1/4 cup more if needed)
- -For The Cake-
- 1¼ cups cake flour
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon table salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- ⅓ cup plain yogurt or buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- powdered sugar for dusting (optional)
- Make the crumb topping: combine sugars, cinnamon, melted butter, & cake flour; stir well. If your crumb topping is still too wet add up to ¼ cup more cake flour. You want it to be a consistency you can easily crumble between your fingers. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 325. Grease an 8x8" baking dish.
- Using an electric mixer mix cake flour, sugar, salt, & baking soda together. Add butter & mix. Mixture will become crumbly looking & a little dry. Add egg, egg yolk, yogurt/buttermilk, & vanilla. Beat until light & fluffy.
- Pour mixture into greased baking pan using a rubber spatula to smooth it out.
- Add crumb topping by using your fingers to break apart the crumbs & sprinkle them over the batter. (Don't press them into the batter)
- Bake for 35-40, until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Let cool for 30 minutes & dust with powdered sugar before serving, if desired.
Source: The Cook’s Illustrated Baking Book
(This post contains amazon affiliate links)