Double Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies loaded with lots of cocoa & chocolate chips!
My Mom always used to take a chocolate cookie mix & add oatmeal & extra chocolate chips to it. I wanted to try making a homemade version of the same thing. Chocolate Cookie + Oatmeal + Chocolate Chips = Double Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies! After trying these I don’t think my Mom will be making it the other way anymore. She thought this recipe from scratch tasted much better. Which was exactly what I was hoping for.
Warning: These cookies are extremely chocolaty! If you are a chocolate lover then I think you will find this recipe to your liking.
It’s a little hard to tell when these cookies are done baking because you won’t see any golden edges. I baked mine for 10 minutes & they were perfectly done. The tops start to crackle when they are about done. After you remove them from the oven leave them on the cookie sheet for at least 5 minutes because they will continue to cook & flatten out.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cup butter (1 stick)
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- ½ cup white sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1¼ cups rolled quick oats
- ½ cup semisweet chocolate chips (maybe a ¼ cup more if your like me & love chocolate!)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease cookie sheets or line with nonstick baking mat/parchment paper.
- Stir together flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda & set aside.
- In a large bowl mix butter, brown sugar and white sugar together. Add in the egg and vanilla. Stir in the dry ingredients (flour mixture). Mix in the oats and chocolate chips. Drop by tablespoonfuls onto prepared cookie sheets.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes. Cookies will start to crackle on the top when they are done. Don't over cook them.