When we went to Disney a few years ago, we went to a restaurant called Raglan Road in Downtown Disney. They serve this brown bread with Guinness dip and I just had to find a similar recipe. I tried two other recipes, but this was the keeper. The dip is amazing!!
Irish Brown Bread Recipe
Recipe type: Bread
- 3 cups flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- ¾ cup rolled or quick oats
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups butter milk
- ⅛ cup guinness or dark beer
- ⅛ cup molasses
- GUINNESS DIP:
- 2 cups Guinness
- 2 cups sugar
- ¼ cup olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a loaf pan.
- Combine all-purpose flour, whole-wheat flour, 1 cup rolled oats, salt, and baking soda in a large bowl.
- Whisk together buttermilk, Guinness, and molasses in a medium bowl.
- Add buttermilk mixture to flour mixture, mixing and folding dough by hand lightly; the mixture should be sticky.
- Transfer dough to prepared pan and sprinkle with remaining ½ cup oats, pressing lightly so it sticks.
- Bake until bread is golden brown and makes a hollow sound when top is tapped, about 55-60 minutes.
- Remove from pan and cool slightly before serving. Serve with Guinness Dip and olive oil.
- GUINNESS DIP:
- Combine the Guinness and sugar in a medium saucepan.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce to simmer
- Simmer until mixture is reduced by half and is thick and syrup-like, about 1 hour.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool to room temperature
- Place ¼ cup olive oil in a saucer or small plate. Drizzle with ¼ cup Guinness mixture to dip the bread in.
Leave a Comment