Yesterday at the grocery store my daughter was begging for me to buy her a muffin for breakfast the next morning. They have a million ingredients, they are expensive, and they are not even that good, so I said no. I told her I would go home and make her some instead. I gave her the choice of chocolate chip, apple cinnamon or strawberry muffins. Since she is my daughter, of course she picked the chocolate chip :-) I thought that it better have something healthy-ish in it, so I used my Chocolate Chip Muffin Recipe that has oats and apple sauce in it. She LOVED them and said they were way better than the grocery store ones. She has already eaten 2 of them and told me that my husband and I are not allowed to have any (ya right that’s not going to happen).
You can use an ice cream scooper to put the batter in the pans and them sprinkle with oats and chocolate chips.
I think that next time I make them, I will sprinkle the top with chocolate chips and not the oats. The oats on top looked pretty, but were a little dry. I also used mini chocolate chips on the tops and regular size in the muffins.
- ½ cup butter soft
- ¾ cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- ¾ cup apple sauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup quick oats
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- additional chips to sprinkle on top (optional)
- oats to sprinkle on top (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, line muffin pan with 12 paper cups.
- In large bowl cream butter, egg, and sugar together. Mix in apple sauce and vanilla. Then the dry ingredients including the oats.
- Add chocolate chips.
- Fill the lined muffin pans ¾ the way full. Sprinkle with additional chips and oats (optional)
- Bake at 350 for 22-25 mins.