Dairy Free Fluffy Homemade Pancakes (made with water instead of milk)
(Updated photo, finally)
I didn’t know if it was possible to make dairy free pancakes, all the recipes I found had weird ingredients in them with milk substitutes like almond milk & I couldn’t use any of them because the person I wanted to make them for had bad food allergies. So I made up this recipe that uses water instead of milk & vegetable oil instead of butter. They turned out light & fluffy & tasted just as good as my regular homemade pancake recipes. I served them with maple syrup & they were delicious.
So if your dealing with a milk allergy or perhaps you’ve ran out of milk at your house, you can still make fluffy pancakes from scratch. If your pancake batter is too thick add a little more water, you want it to be the same consistency as regular pancake batter. I find that sometimes I have to add an extra tablespoon of water to mine to thin it out.
You will have to forgive my bad pictures, it was dark out when I made these & I used my phone to take the photos, I will update the pictures when I get a chance. Recipes makes 1-2 servings, double recipe if you want more pancakes.
- 1 egg
- ¾ cup water
- 3 Tablespoons sugar
- 2½ Tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 2¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Add egg to mixing bowl & whisk really well. Add water, sugar, oil, & vanilla & stir. Add in flour, baking powder, & salt. Mix just until everything is combined. If mix is too thick you can add a little bit more water. You want it to look like normal pancake batter.
- Let sit for a few minutes.
- Heat up a non-stick fry pan or griddle to about medium heat or less. You can add a teaspoon of oil to pan to prevent sticking.
- Once its warmed up you can test by pouring one pancake onto pan. Wait until bubbles start to form on top then flip over. Cook both sides until they are golden brown.
- Serve warm.