Christmas Cinnamon Star Shortbread Cookies. This recipe is supposed to be a German-style Christmas cookie.
I was looking at Christmas cookie recipes this year & I already have my go to recipes posted like Christmas Tree Spritz & Candy Cane Cookies so I wanted to try something new. Cinnamon always reminds me of Christmas time so I decided I wanted to make something with a cinnamon flavor. These cookies have cinnamon in the dough & cinnamon & sugar sprinkled on top. I thought it might also be neat to top them with some icing but I haven’t tried making them like that yet.
I like to keep the cookies in the refrigerator, when eaten cold I think they taste like cinnamon & sugar graham crackers!
- 1½ cups powdered sugar
- 1 cup butter , softened
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2½cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- For Topping:
- Cinnamon & Sugar
- In large bowl, mix powdered sugar & butter together.
- Mix in egg & vanilla until smooth.
- Stir in flour, baking soda, cream of tartar & cinnamon until well blended. Cover & refrigerate for 1 hour or until firm.
- Preheat oven to 375°F (if using dark or nonstick cookie sheet, heat oven to 350°F).
- Divide dough in half. On lightly floured surface, roll half of dough at a time to ¼ inch thick. (I like to place a piece of waxed paper over the top when I'm rolling out the dough so it doesn't stick to the rolling pin).
- Cut with 2-inch star-shaped cookie cutter.
- Place on cookie sheets, 1 inch apart. Sprinkle with a mixture of cinnamon & sugar.
- Bake 7 to 8 minutes or until light golden.
adapted from Betty Crocker