Heart Shaped Soft Pretzel Recipe for Valentine’s Day!
If your looking for Valentine’s Day Recipes this year we have quite a few “heart shaped” recipes posted on our blog like the Heart Shaped Cinnamon Rolls I just posted yesterday.
I like Valentine’s Day because I love showing others that I care about them & love them. All the girls in my family always exchange a little gift to show our love for one another every year, like I always get something for my Mom, sister, & niece. This year I won’t be with them because I moved out of town but I just sent a little package their way so they will each have something coming for Valentine’s Day.
For this recipe I took one of my favorite Copycat Mall (Auntie Anne’s) Pretzel Recipe & made it into heart shapes instead of a traditional pretzel shape. I think it was even a little easier to make the heart shape vs. the pretzel shape!
These are really easy to roll out, the trick is use a little oil on the surface you are rolling them out on not flour. And also another tip I’ve learned from my sister is to roll the dough away from you, never towards you. So basically you roll the dough forward, pick it up & place it back where you started, then roll it away from you again until the dough is almost pencil thin.
This recipe makes 12 large heart shaped pretzels, I sometimes cut this recipe in half to make a smaller batch. If your into sweet instead of salty, these taste great sprinkled with cinnamon & sugar too!
- 1 package dry active yeast or 2¼ teaspoons (I used Fleischmann's Instant Dry Yeast)
- 2 Tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1⅛ teaspoon salt
- 1½ cups warm water
- 4 cups all purpose flour
- For The Soda Bath:
- 2 cups warm water
- 2 Tablespoons baking soda
- Coarse Kosher salt or pretzel salt for topping
- Olive Oil or Melted Butter for brushing tops
- Add yeast & warm water to mixing bowl. Add in brown sugar, flour, & salt. Mix ingredients together.
- Knead about 8 minutes either by hand, with a dough hook on a stand mixer, or in your bread machine on dough setting. If the dough is too sticky add a little extra flour, if it's too dry add a little extra water. You want the dough to form a ball that is just slightly sticky.
- Cover & let rise for 1 hour or until double in size.
- Line baking sheets with non stick baking mats or parchment paper. Mix baking soda & warm water together for the soda bath in a shallow dish, I use a 8x8 pan.
- Preheat oven to 450 F.
- Use a little oil on the surface your rolling your pretzels out on. Divide dough into 12 balls.
- Roll each ball out on lightly oiled surface to form a 3' rope. Shape into hearts.
- Dip in the water/baking soda solution. Place on prepared baking sheets. Reshape if needed. Let rise 15 minutes.
- Bake at 450 F. for 8-10 minutes or until edges of pretzels are starting to turn golden brown.
- Brush with olive oil & sprinkle with salt to taste.
Megan - The Emotional Baker says
Soft pretzels are my weakness! I made heart shaped ones last year, but the shape wasn’t nearly as perfect as these!
I think the trick to them staying heart shaped so well was the recipe I used, it doesn’t have much rising time but with the other pretzel recipe I sometimes use the pretzels expand a lot.
Mary Ann @ thebeachhousekitchen says
These pretzels are totally perfect for Valentine’s Day!! I’m a sucker for homemade soft pretzels!! Thanks for sharing!
I definitely have a thing for soft homemade pretzels too! Thanks for commenting Mary Ann!
what a great idea for valentine’s day. we’re on chocolate overload at my house so a salty snack will be a welcome treat!
Tamara Coleman says
I love a good pretzel :) The perfect V-Day treat!
I love a good pretzel too! Have a Happy Valentine’s Day!