Giant Sugar Cookie Cake: a mix between a giant sugar cookie & a vanilla cake!
I wanted to make something festive & celebratory to commemorate The Semisweet Sister’s Blog Anniversary. My sister & I started this blog in March of 2014. It has certainly had it’s ups & downs since then but I feel like we have learned a lot along the way & the memories are bittersweet. One of the most rewarding things about blogging has been being able to share my love of baking & my favorite recipes with people from all over the world.
It’s also been great to spend time with my sister talking about what recipes we are going to make next & sharing ideas with her. Most of our “blog talk” has been over the phone or via texting this past year since I moved far far away but I feel like sharing this blog with my sister helps to keep us close.
I used a classic sour cream sugar cookie recipe to make this cake only I cut the recipe way down so that it would be the right size for a pie dish. This recipe really does taste like a giant soft sugar cookie baked in cake form.
I used a 9″ glass pie pan to bake the giant sugar cookie cake but you could also use a 9″ cake pan. The cake ends up being about 1 1/2″ high.
I like to use heavy whipping cream for my frosting when I have it on hand because it makes the frosting extra fluffy & creamy. Luckily I just happen to have 1/2 a container sitting in my frig. If you don’t you can substitute regular milk just use a little less since it is thinner then cream you won’t need as much.
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 1 large egg
- ½ stick salted butter
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 1¼ cups + 2 Tablespoons all purpose flour
- pinch of salt
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 3 tablespoons salted butter, softened
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon heavy whipping cream (or milk but you will want to use less if using milk)
- 1¾ cup powdered sugar
- +sprinkles (optional)
- Grease a 9" pie pan or 9" cake pan. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cream sugar, butter, & sour cream together using an electric mixer. Add in egg & vanilla. Add flour, salt, baking soda, & baking powder. Mix until combined. Using a rubber spatula pour batter into prepared pan, smooth it out using the spatula.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until edges are starting to brown or until toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean.
- Cool completely.
- For the frosting combine all the ingredients in a bowl & mix with an electric mixer until creamy. Frost as desired. I put a thin layer over the cake then I used a wilton 1m tip to make the outside border around the cake. Sprinkles optional.