Strawberry Shortcake Cake Recipe
This is seriously the BEST Strawberry Shortcake I have ever had!!! So easy too. I like it better than pound cake, angel food cake, and biscuit strawberry shortcake.
Make sure to line the pan with parchment paper that hangs over 2 sides so that you can lift the cake out of the pan. You should spray the sides with cooking oil and if they do stick, just run a knife down the sides. Pull the cake out, slice it in half lengthwise, add half the whipped cream and strawberries, put the top on and repeat!
If you don’t serve right away it will get soggy. If you don’t want to eat it all at once you can cut the cake into individual squares and add the strawberries and cream when your ready to eat them, that way the cake won’t get mushy. This is what I usually do, the cake will keep for a few days (with out the filling) as long as it’s covered well.
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/4 cups flour
- 2-1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/4 cups milk
- 10 tablespoons butter, cubed
- Strawberry Filling:
- 2 pounds of washed strawberries cut up
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Whipped topping:
- 16 oz cool whip or (homemade whipped cream)
- Cake: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9x13 pan with parchment paper, so that it's hanging over 2 of the edges (so you can pull the cake out). Grease the sides of the pan.
- In a large bowl mix eggs on high speed for about 5 minutes or until thick and lemon colored. Slowly add sugar, beating until mixture is light and fluffy. Mix in vanilla. Combine flour and baking powder; gradually add to batter; beat at low speed until smooth.
- In a medium saucepan, heat milk and butter until butter is melted. Slowly add to batter and beat just until combined. Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. pan. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool.
- Add the 2 tablespoons of sugar to the strawberries and place in pan on the stove and heat for 2-3 mins. on medium heat, just until the sugar is dissolved, don't cook them. Let cool.
- Once the cake is cooled, lift out of the pan and cut lengthwise. Set top aside. Take half of the whipped topping and spread on the bottom layer of the cake, then top with half the strawberries. Place the top of the cake on and repeat with the whipped topping and strawberries. Serve immediately.