Easy Braided Egg Bread
My sister posted her favorite recipe for Braided Bread a long time ago so I figured it was time that I shared my favorite recipe for it. Both are great, but they are two different recipes. My recipe is actually from my Mom. My Mom makes this best homemade bread. I was so spoiled growing up with fresh cinnamon rolls & bread all the time. I learned everything I know about bread making from my Mom.
This is my Mom’s go to braided bread recipe. She has been making it for as long as I can remember. We really only had it for special occasion like Easter, etc. So it was only a special treat when she did make it. Believe it or not I had never made it before now but my Mom was coming to visit me so I timed it out so that it would be done just in time for her arrival because I know she loves fresh bread…even more then me!
Recipe makes 1 loaf. If you want to make it dairy-free substitute vegetable oil for the butter.
- 2½ cups all purpose or bread flour
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 1 package dry yeast (2¼ teaspoons)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅔ cup warm water
- 2 Tablespoons butter (or vegetable oil)
- 1 egg, beaten
- Grease a baking sheet, set aside.
- Mix/knead dough using your favorite method, with a mixer, by hand, or a bread machine.
- You can start by mixing 1½ cups of the flour, sugar, yeast, salt, water, butter, & egg for about 2 minutes. Add in remaining flour & continue kneading/mixing unless soft dough forms.
- Cover & let rise 1 hour or until doubled in size. Roll out to 12x6" rectangle. Cut into 3 pieces 12x2" long. Roll out each piece until rounded.
- Start at the top & braid the 3 pieces together. Pinch the ends of the loaf off so they stick together. Let rise 1 hour or until almost doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until the top & bottom are golden brown. Remove from oven & brush with butter if desired.