Soft Sugar Cookie Bars with Frosting
This recipe is so easy & makes really soft sugar cookie bars.
So why did I make this recipe? I was looking for a good dessert I could make for the 4th of July & I kind of got side tracked. I thought about making these sugar cookie bars and using red, white, & blue sprinkles on top which would have been festive but then I realized I didn’t have my patriotic sprinkles, I had left them with my sister! Whats the next best thing? Multi-colored sprinkles of course! I call them birthday sprinkles because they remind me of a birthday celebration.
I found that after frosting them they become even softer. Makes about 20 squares depending on how you cut it. I made this recipe in a 9×13″ pan. You can also double this recipe and bake it in a 18×13″ jelly roll pan.
- ½ cup (1 stick) butter softened (I used salted)
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2½ cups all purpose flour
- pinch of salt (1/4 teaspoon if using unsalted butter)
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cup butter softened (I used salted)
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2½ Tablespoons milk
- sprinkles (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 F. degrees. Grease a 9x13" pan.
- Using an electric mixer, cream butter & sugar together. Add eggs & vanilla, mix.
- Add flour, salt, & baking soda. Mix well.
- Press the dough into greased pan. (I used a rubber spatula to even out & press dough down, you could also use your hands).
- Bake 10-15 minutes or until the edges are starting to turn a slight golden brown.
- Let cool then frost.
- To make the frosting: combine all the ingredients & beat with an electric mixer until smooth. Spread over sugar cookie bars, add sprinkles (optional).