Heart Shaped Valentine’s Day Sugar Cookies, No cookie cutter required for these!
So a couple years ago I posted a recipe on the blog on how to make Heart Shaped Peanut Butter Cookies with no cookie cutter required. The recipe gave me the idea to try it with sugar cookie dough. I tested out several different sugar cookie recipes and chose this one because I think it works the best. So if your like me and you don’t have any cute heart shaped cookie cutters worry not, you can still make heart shaped Valentine’s Day sugar cookies or peanut butter cookies if your more of a peanut butter cookie fan!
You start by scooping out some dough & rolling it into a ball. Next use the bottom of a glass (which can be dipped in sugar to keep the dough from sticking) & press the cookie down.
Now take your thumb & index finger & pinch the bottom of the cookie to make the bottom “V” shape of the heart. You can use your hands to perfect the heart shape a little. (I had to touch up the top of the heart on some so it wasn’t pointy).
Now take a fork & press the dough down making a criss-cross on the heart. Now they are ready to bake.
I kind of wish I’d had some red & pink sprinkles to put on the tops of these cookies but I improvised and the multi-colored sprinkles do have light pink sprinkles in there. ;) You could also frost these or drizzle some icing across the top. I was just keeping it simple & I kind of like the criss-cross design the fork leaves. Recipe makes about 18 larger sized cookies.
- 1 cup butter (2 sticks) softened (I used salted)
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- pinch of salt
- sprinkles* optional
- sugar for coating bottom of glass*
- Preheat oven to 350 F. degrees.
- Using an electric mixer cream sugar & butter together. Add in egg & vanilla. Add flour, salt & baking powder and mix until dough comes together.
- Scoop or roll dough into 2-2.5 inch balls & place on ungreased cookie sheets. Flatten each ball using the bottom of a glass (coated in sugar).
- To make the top of the heart use a butter knife or the handle of fork to cut into the top center of dough. Press it outwards to the right & left to make the "V" shape.
- Use your thumb & index finger to pinch the bottom of the dough to make the bottom "V" shape of the heart. You can use your hands to perfect the heart shape if needed.
- Take a fork & press the dough down on each side making a criss-cross on the heart.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes.
when do,you put the sprinkles on?
Hi Nina, I put them on just before baking. Thanks!