Old Fashioned Sour Cream Baked Donut Muffins
This recipe is great if you don’t have a donut pan but want to make something that tastes just like a donut! I love those old fashioned sour cream donuts that are covered in a vanilla glaze. I have a baked sour cream donut recipe that calls for a donut pan but I wanted to see how they would turn out in muffin form. The muffin form turned out just like the donuts. They take a little bit longer to took but they taste like donuts.
I only dipped the tops in glaze but if you want you can double the glaze recipe & cover the whole muffin in glaze, making it like one giant donut hole! The glaze will harden up after about 15-20 min. My picture show it freshly poured on but it hardens up quickly & turns more of a solid white color. Recipe made 8 old fashioned sour cream donut muffins.
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 large egg
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil (I used soybean oil)
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ⅛ teaspoon nutmeg (optional)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup + 3 Tablespoons powdered sugar
- 2 Tablespoons milk
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350. Grease muffin pan with oil or use cupcake liners.
- Whisk together the sour cream, egg, vanilla, oil, butter & sugar in a bowl.
- Add flour, soda, salt, & nutmeg (optional) & stir by hand until well combined.
- Fill muffin pan ½ full with batter & bake for 20-25 minutes or until the top is springy to the touch & they are turning slight golden brown. Remove from oven & let cool in pan for 5-10 minutes then transfer to cooling rack.
- For the Glaze: In a small bowl, combine powdered sugar, vanilla, & milk together. You may need to add a little more milk or powered sugar to get the right consistency.
- Dip the cooled muffins into the glaze then allow the glaze to sit & harden. You can spoon over any remaining glaze onto the muffin tops when done if you want.
Post contains amazon affiliate links
Oh wow, this recipe is right up my alley! I love sour cream donuts and don’t have a donut pan but I do have all the ingredients and a muffin pan! Yay! This recipe looks super easy, can’t wait to make it. I’m so glad I stumbled upon your website, thank you for the recipe!
Hi Lee, I hope you like the recipe!
Just made these – I used Greek Yogurt and light olive oil (no butter). Delicious and a great way to satisfy my craving for cake donuts – thanks for the recipe!
Hi Melinda, I’m so glad you liked the recipe. Thanks for sharing that Greek yogurt and olive oil work as substitutes for this recipe. Thanks for commenting, we appreciate it!