Old Fashioned Sour Cream Baked Donut Muffins
This recipe is great if you don’t have a donut pan but want to make something that tastes just like a donut! I love those old fashioned sour cream donuts that are covered in a vanilla glaze. I have a baked sour cream donut recipe that calls for a donut pan but I wanted to see how they would turn out in muffin form. The muffin form turned out just like the donuts. They take a little bit longer to took but they taste like donuts.
I only dipped the tops in glaze but if you want you can double the glaze recipe & cover the whole muffin in glaze, making it like one giant donut hole! The glaze will harden up after about 15-20 min. My picture show it freshly poured on but it hardens up quickly & turns more of a solid white color. Recipe made 8 old fashioned sour cream donut muffins.
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 large egg
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil (I used soybean oil)
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ⅛ teaspoon nutmeg (optional)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup + 3 Tablespoons powdered sugar
- 2 Tablespoons milk
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350. Grease muffin pan with oil or use cupcake liners.
- Whisk together the sour cream, egg, vanilla, oil, butter & sugar in a bowl.
- Add flour, soda, salt, & nutmeg (optional) & stir by hand until well combined.
- Fill muffin pan ½ full with batter & bake for 20-25 minutes or until the top is springy to the touch & they are turning slight golden brown. Remove from oven & let cool in pan for 5-10 minutes then transfer to cooling rack.
- For the Glaze: In a small bowl, combine powdered sugar, vanilla, & milk together. You may need to add a little more milk or powered sugar to get the right consistency.
- Dip the cooled muffins into the glaze then allow the glaze to sit & harden. You can spoon over any remaining glaze onto the muffin tops when done if you want.
Post contains amazon affiliate links