New York Crumb Cake Muffins with lots of crumb topping!
I love making New York Crumb Cake! It is such a good brunch food & makes for a yummy dessert. I finally decided to try making it in muffin form. Normally I would make it with cake flour but for the muffins all purpose flour worked just fine. I used a large cookie scoop to equally distribute the batter into the muffin cups, about 2.5 Tablespoons.
With the crumb topping, I gently pressed it down a little so it would stick better. Be careful to not over fill the muffin cups, I filled mine 1/2 way. I’ve made them several times & if I added too much batter the crumb topping would just fall off & onto the pan when it grows & bakes in the oven. Recipe made 10 muffins.
- -For Crumb Topping-
- 2½ Tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2½ Tablespoons packed brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 tablespoon (1/2 stick) salted butter, melted
- ¾ cup all purpose flour
- -For The Cake-
- 1½ cups all purpose flour
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 6 tablespoons salted butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- ⅓ cup plain yogurt or vanilla yogurt or buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grease muffins tins or line with cupcake liners.
- Make the crumb topping: combine sugars, cinnamon, melted butter, & flour; stir well. If your crumb topping is still too wet add a little more cake flour. You want it to be a consistency you can easily crumble between your fingers. Set aside.
- Hand mix flour, sugar, salt, & baking soda together. Add butter & mix. Mixture will become crumbly looking & a little dry. Add egg, egg yolk, yogurt/buttermilk, & vanilla.
- Pour mixture into greased muffin tin cups filling ½ full.
- Add crumb topping by using your fingers to break apart the crumbs & sprinkle them over the batter of each muffin cup.
- Bake for 20-25 min., until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
This post contains amazon affiliate link.
Leave a Comment