Slice and Bake Sugar Cookies
I’m going to be honest, I’ve never been one to make cookies that require refrigeration time before baking because I don’t find it worth the extra effort. However this recipe surprised me because I find myself making it over and over again. Now that I’m questioning what makes this recipe so special, I find that it’s because this recipe is actually really easy to make. The dough is so easy to work with and the cookies always turn out perfect.
With “refrigerator” cookies that I’ve tried making in the past the dough always ends up being way too soft, sticky, & hard to work with. With this recipe that is not the case. The dough is stiff enough to easily roll into a log shape, wrap in plastic wrap, refrigerate, then slice and bake. That’s another thing, usually I find these cookies start to get too soft when slicing and loose shape but not this recipe! This is seriously the easiest slice and bake sugar cook recipe I have ever tried & how a true refrigerator cookie should be! Did I convince you to give it a try yet? I’ve tested this recipe out many many times now & it has not failed me yet.
These cookies are not overly sweet so I recommend adding sprinkles or frosting on top to give them additionally sweetness and flavor.
*Tip* I find plastic wrap works better for me then waxed paper to roll the dough into a log.
When slicing the cookies you want to make them fairly thick because they won’t rise much in the oven. I probably sliced mine just over 1/4″ thick.
- 1 cup (2 sticks) salted butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 Tablespoon milk
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- Using an electric mixer, cream butter and sugar together. Beat in egg. Add vanilla and milk.
- Mix in flour & baking powder (also add ¼ teaspoon salt if using unsalted butter).
- Lay 2 pieces of plastic wrap or waxed paper on the counter.
- Split dough in half. Drop half of the dough on one piece of plastic wrap & the second on the other. Shape/Roll each into a log about 2" in diameter. Wrap up & close off ends of plastic wrap. Place in refrigerator for 2 hours.
- After 2 hours Preheat oven to 375 F. degrees.
- Take out one log & slice into ¼" slices and place on ungreased cookie sheet. Repeat when ready to bake second log.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until the edges are just slightly turning golden.
Hi Katie – this looks like a great recipe. Thank you for sharing. How many cookies does one batch make?
Hi Shanna, It should make about 30-32 cookies. Thanks.