Classic White Sandwich Bread Recipe.
I have several recipes I use to make loaves of white sandwich bread but I’m sharing with you the one I use the most. My go to recipe. It makes 2 loaves of white bread. If you only want 1 loaf of bread you can cut the recipe in half or you could make both and freeze one loaf. It freezes well. I use Pyrex 1.5-quart clear glass pans to make my bread, I think glass bakes bread well and I like that I can check the bottoms to see if the bread is browning.
When I make this bread recipe I use my bread machine to knead the dough, you can however still make this same recipe using your favorite method of kneading. Some people like to use their stand mixer fitted with a dough hook or they prefer to knead by hand. I have had really good luck using a bread machine! You just set the bread machine to the dough cycle, it kneads the dough for you but does not bake it in the bread machine. So simple.
I ALWAYS bake my bread in the oven because I don’t like the way the bread bakes in a bread machine. The bread machine works amazing for kneading dough. Honestly, I’m all about being thrifty and the thrift stores almost always have new or nearly new bread machines at them, just a tip.
Tip: I frequently split the dough in half to make 1 loaf of white sandwich bread and 1 8×8″ pan of cinnamon rolls. To make cinnamon rolls just roll half the dough out into a rectangle then sprinkle with desired amount of cinnamon & sugar, bakes at same temperature for about 23 minutes.
- 2¼ teaspoons yeast
- 1 cup warm water
- 4 cups all purpose flour
- 2 large eggs
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Grease 2 bread loaf pans and set aside.
- Add ingredients to mixing bowl or bread machine in order above.
- Mix/knead dough using your favorite method (by hand, using a stand mixer with dough hook, or a bread machine). Knead dough for 8-10 min. or until it feels smooth & elastic but still a little tacky. You may need to add a little extra flour or water to get the right consistency.
- Let dough rise for 1 hour covered or until doubled in size.
- Divide dough into half and place on lightly floured surface, press out any air bubbles. Then place each half in greased loaf pans, press dough down so it lays evenly in pans.
- Let rise for 1 hour or until double in size.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Bake for 23-25 minutes or until golden brown.
Post contains amazon affiliate links