Easy Vanilla Sheet Cake 8×11″ with Old Fashioned Frosting. I used a 2 qt. glass baking dish to make the cake which is about 8×11″.
Looking for an easy vanilla sheet cake to make? This makes a good vanilla snacking cake. I like to keep it in the refrigerator & eat it cold. Sometimes I just want cake even if it’s not a holiday, although I just made this for the 4th of July. I’d classify this cake as super moist, thin, & easy to make cake.
This recipe uses my *NEW* favorite vanilla frosting recipe! The frosting is made with regular granulated sugar not powdered sugar. It comes in super handy if you don’t have powdered sugar on hand but still need to make vanilla frosting. It has to be cooked on the stove top but it does not take long to make.
I used a 2 qt. glass baking dish to make the cake which is about 8×11″ but some brands call it different sizes like 7.1×11″, it is the 2 qt. size, mine is Anchor Hocking brand but Pyrex makes the same one.
- ½ cup (1 stick) salted butter
- ½ cup water
- 1 cup All-Purpose flour
- 1 cupssugar
- 1 large egg, beaten
- ¼ cup sour cream
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- For Frosting:
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 tablespoon flour
- ¾ cup regular sugar
- ¼ cup (1/2 stick) salted butter, softened
- 1 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease a 8x11" baking pan.
- In a medium sized saucepan, bring butter and water to boil.
- In a large bowl, combine flour and sugar. Mix. Add in egg, sour cream, vanilla, & baking soda. Slowly pour in the boiling butter/water mixture. Stir until smooth.
- Pour into greased baking pan. Bake at 375 degrees F. for 20-22 minutes or until golden brown & toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool cake completely.
- For Frosting:
- Whisk milk & flour together in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Keep stirring until the mixture gets very thick and bubbly.
- Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature.
- In a mixing bowl using an electric mixer beat sugar and butter together until smooth and creamy. Beat in the cooled flour mixture until it is light and fluffy. Beat in the vanilla.
- Frost cooled cake.
Post contains amazon affiliate links.