Brown Butter Sugar Cookies.
I had heard of using browned butter in recipe for years but have never tried using it until this recipe. I took one of my favorite recipes for sugar cookies and decided to substitute the regular butter for browned butter. They say that brown butter has a nutty aroma, I don’t know if I would call it nutty but it does smell delicious and to me it tastes and smells like caramel.
Making browned butter is actually easy to do and only takes about 5 minutes. You start by heating the butter in a saucepan on the stove over medium/high heat. When the butter starts to simmer and turns a golden brown it is finished. It will also have a nutty smell to it when it is finished. Some people prefer to brown their butter longer then others but it’s really up to you. I stopped mine when it got to a light golden brown color.
- 4 cups flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup plus 6 tablespoons salted browned butter
- 1⅓ cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- sugar for sprinkling
- Start by putting the butter in a small sauce pan & heat over medium/high heat. Melt butter & stir occasionally as it simmers. Once the butter has turned a golden brown it is finished. It will have a nutty aroma. Remove from heat & let it cool for 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 F. degrees.
- In small bowl mix flour and baking powder together.
- In large bowl with mixer, cream together the melted brown butter and sugar, add in eggs, and vanilla until well combined. Slowly add in the flour mixture.
- Scoop dough and roll into 2" balls. Place on ungreased cookie sheet.
- Sprinkle dough with sugar. Use the bottom of a glass to press dough down slightly.
- Bake at 350 F. degrees for 11-13 mins or until they are just slightly browning around bottom edges.