Crumb Coffee Cake.
Crumb style coffee cakes are one of my favorite breakfast items to make. I really love the taste and smell of cinnamon. Whenever I make this my whole house smells like butter and cinnamon, I love the aroma. This recipe makes a moist coffee cake with a buttery cinnamon crumb topping.
For this recipe you may use salted or unsalted butter. I almost always bake with salted butter so if you are not then go ahead and add 1/4 teaspoon of salt to the batter of the recipe. I baked mine in a glass Pyrex 8×8” baking pan.
- -For Crumb Topping-
- 2½ Tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2½ Tablespoons packed brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 tablespoon salted butter, melted
- ¾ cups all purpose flour (may need a little more)
- -For The Cake-
- 1¼ cups all purpose flour
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- pinch of salt
- 6 tablespoons salted butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- ⅓ cup plain (or vanilla) yogurt or buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Make the crumb topping: combine sugars, cinnamon, melted butter, & flour; stir well. If your crumb topping is still too wet add a little more flour. You want it to be a consistency you can easily crumble between your fingers. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 325. Grease an 8x8" baking dish.
- Using an electric mixer mix flour, sugar, salt, & baking soda together. Add butter & mix. Mixture will become crumbly looking & a little dry. Add egg, egg yolk, yogurt/buttermilk, & vanilla. Beat until light & fluffy.
- Pour mixture into greased baking pan using a rubber spatula to smooth it out.
- Add crumb topping by using your fingers to break apart the crumbs & sprinkle them over the batter. (Don't press them into the batter)
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Let cool for 30 minutes
post contains amazon affiliate link