Pizzelle Italian Cookies. Thin crisp cookies.
This recipe makes thin crisp Pizzelles. My aunt always makes these at Christmas time and I finally started making my own now that I have my own Pizzelle Iron. The recipe below is actually dairy free so if you are trying to find a recipe made without dairy you have come to the right place. You can also dust these with powdered sugar if you like when they are done cooking.
You will need a Pizzelle Maker to make these cookies. I have a polished Pizzelle Iron that makes 2 five inch cookies at a time. They also make ones in different styles that are non stick and that have different patterns.
Recipe makes about 45-50 cookies. If your batter is too thin you can add a couple more tablespoons of flour. My Pizzelle Maker takes 1 tablespoon of batter per cookie and bakes for exactly 2 minutes. I set a timer for 2 minutes then take them off the iron. Please refer to your own manual as it may differ from mine.
- 6 large eggs
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 3⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract or anise
- Heat the Pizzelle Maker.
- In a mixing bowl, beat eggs until thick and foamy.
- Mix in sugar, then oil & vanilla.
- Stir in flour. (If you want it thicker you can add a couple more tablespoons of flour)
- Drop batter by the tablespoon onto preheated iron and bake until light golden brown. Mine takes 2 minutes to cook.
- Remove (using a fork or spatula) and cool flatly on a wire rack.
- (Optional- dust with powdered sugar)
Post contains amazon affiliate links.