A Basic Butter Cookie Recipe.
This recipe makes soft, crumbly butter cookies. They remind me of shortbread cookies only these are softer. I love butter cookie and sugar cookie recipes.
This recipe only makes a small batch of about 16-18 cookies, enough to fit on one cookie sheet. It can be doubled to make a larger batch of butter cookies. It is important to refrigerate the dough for this recipe because it is soft and you will have flat cookies if you don’t. I rolled the dough into balls vs. a log when I made these.
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- 12 Tablespoons (1½ sticks) salted butter, softened
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla
- Cream butter and sugar together using an electric mixer for about 3 minutes.
- Then mix in egg yolk and vanilla. Add flour and baking powder and mix well.
- Either roll dough into a log and cover with plastic wrap and place in refrigerator or just refrigerate in bowl for at least 1 hour.
- After dough has chilled remove from frig.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Slice and bake cookies (1/8-1/4" thick) if you rolled into a log and place on cookie sheet or roll dough into 1½" balls.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until the edges are just starting to turn golden brown.