Another Coffee Cake recipe! We have a variety of coffee cake recipes posted on our blog. My sister even has a Chocolate Chip Coffee Cake recipe posted if you are a chocolate lover. Cinnamon coffee cakes are my favorite and crumb cakes.
This recipe makes a square 8×8″ pan of coffee cake which I usually cut into 9 square pieces to serve.
- -For The Cake-
- 1¼ cups all purpose flour
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- pinch of salt
- 6 tablespoons salted butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- ⅓ cup plain (or vanilla) yogurt or buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 Tablespoons white sugar
- 1 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Make the topping: In a small bowl combine sugars and cinnamon; stir well. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 325. Grease an 8x8" baking dish.
- Using an electric mixer mix flour, sugar, salt, & baking soda together. Add butter & mix. Mixture will become crumbly looking & a little dry. Add egg, egg yolk, yogurt/buttermilk, & vanilla. Beat until light & fluffy.
- Pour mixture into greased baking pan using a rubber spatula to smooth it out.
- Add cinnamon topping by sprinkling it over the top.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Let cool for 30 minutes