Apple Cinnamon Coffee Cake.
I bought a bag of organic gala apples to make an apple pie but I still had quite a few apples that I needed to use up. I decided to try adding apples to one of my favorite coffee cake recipes because apple cake sounded good and it turned out even better then expected. It is hard to see the apples in the photos but there are a cup of peeled, sliced, diced apples. I peeled the apples, then I used an apple corer slicer(amazon affiliate), then I sliced those pieces into small thin pieces.
Easy Moist Apple Coffee Cake with yogurt and sour cream. Cinnamon and sugar topping. This recipe was adapted from a recipe I first started making back in high school. This recipe was made in an 8×8″ square baking dish. If you need to make a larger recipe just double the recipe below and make in a 9×13″ baking dish.
- ½ cup (1 stick) salted butter, softened
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- ¼ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup plain or vanilla yogurt
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ⅛ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup diced and peeled apples
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 Tablespoon melted salted butter
- Preheat oven to 350 F. degrees. Grease a 8x8 inch square baking pan & set aside.
- Stir together the butter & sugar in a large bowl. Add the egg, sour cream, yogurt & vanilla, and mix well.
- Stir in the flour, baking powder, & baking soda together and mix until well combined.
- Mix in apples.
- Topping: In a small bowl stir the brown sugar, white sugar , butter and cinnamon together.
- Pour batter into the greased baking pan (I use the back of a spoon to spread it out so it's all laying evenly). Using a spoon sprinkle the topping over the batter in the pan.
- Bake at 350 F. for about 30 minutes or until a wooden toothpick comes out clean after being inserted into the center. Cool before serving.