Gingerbread Cookies without Molasses.
This recipe makes simple Gingerbread Cookies with no molasses. I don’t know about you but I don’t keep molasses on hand but I still like gingerbread cookies. The extra brown sugar in this recipe substitutes for the lack of molasses.
If you want softer cookies, bake for less time. If you like crispy gingerbread cookies bake for a little longer. I baked mine for 10 minutes and they came out somewhat soft. If you like your gingerbread cookies soft I also recommend making them thicker, like 1/4″ when you roll out the dough.
Yes, this recipe calls for no baking soda and no baking powdered you have read it correctly. They hold their shape very well in the oven and shouldn’t spread. The dough does not need to be refrigerated. Number of cookies this recipe yields depends on the size of your cookie cutters and the thickness you roll the dough. This recipe makes a small batch. I made about 20 cookies using mini and regular sized gingerbread cookie cutters.
- ½ cup (1 stick) salted butter
- 1¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ Tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- ⅛ teaspoon clove (optional*)
- Preheat oven to 350 F. degrees.
- Using an electric mixer mix butter and sugar together. Add egg and vanilla and mix in.
- Add flour, ginger, cinnamon and (clove).
- Roll dough out on a lightly floured surface or between 2 pieces of waxed paper to ¼" thick.
- Cut into gingerbread shapes using cookie cutters.
- Transfer to baking sheet.
- Bake for 9-10 minutes or until desired. Less time will equal a softer cookie, more time will give you a crisp cookie.
- Let cool completely. Decorate as desired.
Excellent! I messed a bit with the spices, but these taste great!!
So glad you liked the gingerbread cookie recipe. Thanks for taking the time to comment, we appreciate it!
I used Allspice instead of cloves. This was just what I needed! I didn’t want to go try to find molasses just for one recipe. Thank you!
Hi Chellie, So glad the recipe turned out for you. Thanks for taking the time to comment, we appreciate it!