Jumbo Vanilla Cupcakes with Old Fashioned Vanilla Frosting made without powdered sugar.
I love a good vanilla cupcake!
Recipe makes 8 jumbo vanilla cupcakes. I have always wanted a jumbo muffin pan (affiliate link) and I finally bought one! I used to love to buy jumbo vanilla cupcakes with vanilla frosting that were for sale at the bakery section of a local grocery store called Martin’s Supermarket. I’d split it in half with a friend since it’s a big serving, not that I couldn’t devour it on my own. It is hard to tell from the photos that they are jumbo sized cupcakes but they are.
Recipe makes about 8 Jumbo Size Vanilla Cupcakes or 16-18 regular size cupcakes.
I used my new favorite vanilla frosting recipe but it’s made without powdered sugar, it just uses regular sugar so it is not as sweet and the texture is a little less creamy but I still love it. You can totally frost these using your favorite buttercream frosting recipe, cream cheese, etc.
- 1¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 1½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- ¼ cup soybean oil or vegetable oil
- ⅓ cup sour cream
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- ⅔ cup milk (I used 2%)
- ½ cup milk
- 2 tablespoons flour
- pinch of salt
- 1¼ cup sugar (add up to ¼ cup more sugar for thicker frosting)
- ½ cup (1 stick) salted butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line cupcake pan with paper liners or grease cupcake pan.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, & salt & mix together.
- In another bowl cream sugar & butter together with electric mixer until light & fluffy.
- Add the creamed butter & sugar to the flour mixture & mix on medium-low speed for about a minute, you will end up with a crumb texture.
- Add eggs, oil, sour cream, & vanilla to the flour mixture & beat on medium speed until just combined.
- Slowly add in the milk on low speed until just combined.
- Fill cupcake liners ½ full. Bake for 18-24 minutes. Insert toothpick in center of a cupcake until it comes out clean or you can gently tap the top of the cupcake with your finger, if it springs back its done.
- Remove from oven & let cool in pan for a few minutes then move to a wire rack to finish cooling.
- For the Frosting:
- Whisk milk, flour, and salt together in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Keep stirring until the mixture gets very thick and bubbly.
- Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature.
- In a mixing bowl using an electric mixer beat sugar and butter together until smooth and creamy. Beat in the cooled flour mixture until it is light and fluffy. Beat in the vanilla. (Add extra sugar if you need frosting thicker).
- Frost cooled cupcakes.