Cinnamon Crunch Knots.
One of my favorite recipes: Cinnamon Crunch Knots. I love these for breakfast. They taste like a cinnamon roll with a cinnamon crunch topping. You can also drizzle the tops with icing by mixing powdered sugar and milk together but I thought they were sweet enough without it.
Below I share some photos of the process.
You roll out the ball of dough in a rectangle.
You brush the top with melted butter and sprinkle with cinnamon/sugar mix.
You fold the dough over from left to right. Cut into stripes about 1.5″ wide.
You take a strip of dough, take an end in each hand and twist it. Then you tie it in a knot, tuck the ends underneath and place on cookie sheet.
Recipe makes about 9 cinnamon crunch knots.
- ½ cup warm water
- 1⅛ teaspoon yeast
- 2¼ cups all purpose flour
- ¼ cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- ¼ cup melted butter (1/2 stick) I used salted
- -Coating for Rolling-
- ¼ cup sugar + 2 Tablespoons
- ¼ cup brown sugar + 2 Tablespoons
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 Tablespoon melted butter
- Use your favorite bread making method (bread machine, stand mixer w/ dough hook, or by hand). If making by hand: Add yeast, water, then the rest of the dough ingredients to a large bowl & begin stirring with a wooden spoon. Once a dough ball has formed move the dough to a well floured surface.
- Knead dough for 10 minutes until it is smooth & elastic like.
- Move back to the bowl & cover with a clean cloth.
- Let rise 1 hour or until double in size
- Prepare the coating by mixing the sugar, brown sugar, & cinnamon together in small bowl, set aside.
- After 1 hour rise, Punch dough down. Roll out dough on a lightly floured surface. (I use a rolling pin). Roll to form a 11"x17" rectangle.
- Melt the 2 Tablespoons of butter in a bowl. Brush top of dough with butter lightly.
- Sprinkle with ½ cup of the cinnamon and sugar mix.
- Fold the dough in half width wise, then press down gently. Cut into 1-1½" strips width wise so you start cutting at the seam where the dough is folded (I used a pizza cutter).
- Take the strips of dough one at a time, holding both ends twist it several times. Take the twisted strip of dough & tie a knot, take the end of it & tuck it under. (See photos above).
- Place on a greased cookie sheet. Space them out about 2 inch apart on cookie sheet.
- With the remaining ¼ cup cinnamon/sugar mix, mix in the leftover melted butter you used to brush the top.
- Then gently pat a spoonful of cinnamon/sugar/butter mixture on to top of knots. (If you don't have enough butter or cinnamon/sugar mix you can make some more with 1 tablespoon butter, 2 tablespoons sugar, 2 tablespoon brown sugar, ¼ teaspoon cinnamon).
- Let rise 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 F. degrees.
- Bake 15-17 min. or until the edges are turning golden brown & the bottoms.