Easy Classic Beef Meatloaf.
Recipe makes one 9×5″ loaf of meatloaf. This is a classic simple dinner recipe for meatloaf that I have made many times. I omit the salt but you can add salt and pepper to taste. The parsley is really optional also but it just adds some flavor. If you don’t keep it on hand don’t worry about it. This recipe is pretty forgiving and fail proof. You can add spices and herbs that you prefer.
I bake mine in a 9×5″ glass loaf pan. I use the back of a spoon to press the meat into the pan so that it lays evenly.
If I don’t have 90% lean ground beef I have used 85% ground beef before, it just has more fat. For the breadcrumbs I use organic dried bread crumbs from Trader Joe’s or homemade bread crumbs.
My mom taught me how to make the meatloaf topping with ketchup and brown sugar, which is quick and easy to whip up. She also sometimes places a couple strips of bacon on top because it gives it an extra savory flavor.
- 1 lb. 90% lean ground beef
- ½ cup dried bread crumbs
- ½ cup diced yellow onion (about ¼ of a medium/large onion)
- ½ cup milk
- 1 large egg beaten
- 1 Tablespoon ketchup
- ½ Tablespoon yellow mustard
- ⅛ teaspoon dried parsley leaves
- ⅛ teaspoon garlic powder
- ⅛ teaspoon onion powder (optional)
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon salt (optional)
- -For the Topping-
- ⅓ cup ketchup
- 2 Tablespoons brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 F. degrees.
- In a small bowl mix together the ketchup and brown sugar to make the topping and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl combine all the ingredients together. Mix together using your stand mixer or your hands to make sure all ingredients are mixed together well.
- Place in a 9x5" loaf pan and pat it down flat or form into a loaf shape and place in a casserole or 9x13" pan.
- Pour the topping over the meatloaf and smooth it over using the back of a spoon.
- Bake for about 55 minutes or until meat is cooked.
Leave a Comment