Farmer Cheese Cookies (also known as Goose Feet or Gusinie Lapki in Russian).
Flaky buttery pastry cookie. It is a popular Russian style dessert recipe.
I used a food processor (affiliate link) with an s-blade to mix the ingredients together and it worked perfectly. I’m not very good with pastries or biscuits and using a pastry blender never turns out well for me so I’m thankful for the food processor, it tends to mix just right for me.
To make the circles I used a set of graduated round cutters (affiliate link) that I also use for biscuits, cookies, etc. that has a 3″ round cutter in it.
To fold it you just take the circle and fold it in half then you fold it in half one more time to create a triangle type shape.
Farmer Cheese is an ingredient that I don’t normally purchase and I’m not sure how many stores sell it but I was able to buy it at Publix grocery store, it is next to the buttersand cottage cheese section. If you can’t find it at the store that is ok, you could make your own or you can also use ricotta cheese as a substitute.
The dough doesn’t contain any sugar so you will want to make sure that you coat the outside in sugar to give it sweetness.
Tips* I froze my butter for about 1 hour prior to using it and cut it in small pieces about 1/2 Tablespoon in size.
I found it hard to get the sugar to stick to the dough, I really had to press it into the dough then sprinkle it over the tops before baking. Some recipes suggest brushing the circles with water lightly to help the sugar stick but in the end mine turned out after a little extra effort of pressing the sugar in.
Also when you pull them out of the oven they may look a little puffy and like they flipped open too much but mine settled down flat after cooling.
Recipe makes about 55 cookies but it varies depending on what size circles you cut and the exact thickness of the dough.
- 1 cup (2 sticks) salted butter (cold and cut into pieces) (if using unsalted add ½ teaspoon salt)
- 7.5 oz farmer cheese
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 egg yolks
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 Tablespoons cold water
- - For Coating-
- ½ cup sugar
- Use a food processor or pastry blender to mix the butter and farmers cheese together.
- Mix in flour, egg yolks, vanilla and water.
- Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and place in the fridge to chill for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 F. degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or non stick baking mat.
- Take about ⅓ of the dough out of the fridge at a time and roll it out on a lightly floured surface using a rolling pin. Roll very think, under ⅛".
- Take a 3" round cookie cutter or an overturned glass and cut dough into circles.
- Have the sugar in a shallow bowl and dip both sides of the dough circles into the sugar. Fold circle in half then fold again. You will end up with a triangle shape.
- Place on prepared baking sheet. Gently press the cookies down so they don't pop open during baking. Sprinkle a little extra sugar on the tops if you want.
- Continue with the rest of the dough. Any scrapes left over after cutting can be re-rolled and cut into more circles.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the tops are starting to turn golden brown.
- Let cool completely before enjoying.