Wellesley Fudge cupcakes aka The BEST chocolate cupcakes ever!
I think the fudge like frosting is what makes these cupcakes so good! Everyone I have ever made these for that loves chocolate has always asked me to make them again and again. I make this recipe in cake form also. If you are a chocolate lover then I think you will like this one.
This recipe calls for an ingredient that you may not be familiar with if your like me, Dutch-processed Cocoa Powder. However it is easy to find, every grocery store should carry it, its located next to the regular cocoa powdered. I use Hershey’s Special Dark Chocolate Cocoa (Amazon affiliate), if you read the label it says it is Dutch-processed. *Note* You use the Dutch-processed cocoa powdered in the cupcake batter but regular cocoa powder in the frosting.
Recipe makes about 24 cupcakes. Cut recipe in half if you want a smaller batch.
- -THE CUPCAKES-
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup hot water
- ½ cup Dutch-processed cocoa powder
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk (or regular milk will do)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- -THE FROSTING-
- 3½ cups powdered sugar
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 1½ cups packed light brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup half and half (or heavy whipping cream)
- ½ cup bittersweet chocolate chips (like ghirardelli bittersweet chocolate chips or you can use semisweet chocolate chips)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- The cupcakes: Preheat oven to 350˚F.
- Grease muffin pan or line with paper muffin cups.
- Whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a bowl, set aside.
- Using a small bowl, whisk hot water, vanilla, & cocoa powder until smooth.
- Using an electric mixer beat the butter & sugar until light and fluffy. Add in 1 egg at a time. Add flour mixture in 3 additions, alternating with 2 additions of buttermilk, until combined. Reduce speed to low & slowly add cocoa mixture until incorporated.
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of one comes out clean. Cool completely.
- The Frosting: Mix together the powdered sugar & cocoa in a bowl, set aside.
- In a large saucepan heat 4 tablespoons butter, brown sugar, salt, and ½ cup half and half over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until small bubbles appear around perimeter of pan, about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low, stirring frequently, until mixture thickens slightly and turns deep golden brown, about 8 minutes.
- Transfer to a large bowl. Stir in remaining butter & remaining half and half until butter is melted. Add the chocolate chips & the vanilla and stir until smooth. Slowly whisk in the bowl of powdered sugar & cocoa. Wait a couple minutes for it to cool then spread on cooled cupcakes. Wait for frosting to set, then serve. (You can put it in the frig to help it set faster).