Wellesley Fudge cupcakes aka The BEST chocolate cupcakes ever!
I think the fudge like frosting is what makes these cupcakes so good! Everyone I have ever made these for that loves chocolate has always asked me to make them again and again. I make this recipe in cake form also. If you are a chocolate lover then I think you will like this one.
This recipe calls for an ingredient that you may not be familiar with if your like me, Dutch-processed Cocoa Powder. However it is easy to find, every grocery store should carry it, its located next to the regular cocoa powdered. I use Hershey’s Special Dark Chocolate Cocoa (Amazon affiliate), if you read the label it says it is Dutch-processed. *Note* You use the Dutch-processed cocoa powdered in the cupcake batter but regular cocoa powder in the frosting.
Recipe makes about 24 cupcakes. Cut recipe in half if you want a smaller batch.
- -THE CUPCAKES-
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup hot water
- ½ cup Dutch-processed cocoa powder
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk (or regular milk will do)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- -THE FROSTING-
- 3½ cups powdered sugar
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 1½ cups packed light brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup half and half (or heavy whipping cream)
- ½ cup bittersweet chocolate chips (like ghirardelli bittersweet chocolate chips or you can use semisweet chocolate chips)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- The cupcakes: Preheat oven to 350˚F.
- Grease muffin pan or line with paper muffin cups.
- Whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a bowl, set aside.
- Using a small bowl, whisk hot water, vanilla, & cocoa powder until smooth.
- Using an electric mixer beat the butter & sugar until light and fluffy. Add in 1 egg at a time. Add flour mixture in 3 additions, alternating with 2 additions of buttermilk, until combined. Reduce speed to low & slowly add cocoa mixture until incorporated.
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of one comes out clean. Cool completely.
- The Frosting: Mix together the powdered sugar & cocoa in a bowl, set aside.
- In a large saucepan heat 4 tablespoons butter, brown sugar, salt, and ½ cup half and half over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until small bubbles appear around perimeter of pan, about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low, stirring frequently, until mixture thickens slightly and turns deep golden brown, about 8 minutes.
- Transfer to a large bowl. Stir in remaining butter & remaining half and half until butter is melted. Add the chocolate chips & the vanilla and stir until smooth. Slowly whisk in the bowl of powdered sugar & cocoa. Wait a couple minutes for it to cool then spread on cooled cupcakes. Wait for frosting to set, then serve. (You can put it in the frig to help it set faster).
Leave a Comment