Frosted Vanilla Cake in a Loaf Pan.
Ever had a cake made in a bread loaf pan (amazon affiliate)? I’d never made one in a loaf pan, besides a coffee cake or a pound cake so I thought I’d give it a try. It works like all the other types of cake pans I’ve tried and I like the shape, it is easy to slice and came out of the pan easily for me.
If you are like me and you like to bake it sure would be nice if the price of vanilla extract would come back down. They had said there was a year of bad crops around 5 years ago and then the price has stayed extremely high ever since. I used my precious Tahitian vanilla extract (amazon affiliate) that I have saved to make this cake because it is hands down my favorite type of vanilla but Madagascar is my second favorite vanilla extract. I bought my sister the big jar that Costco sells and she said it is good for baking.
You could use this recipe to make a small birthday cake by adding sprinkles to the top and making it more festive.
- ¾ cup + 2 Tablespoons all purpose flour
- ½ + ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 2 Tablespoons salted butter, softened
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup milk
- 2½ Tablespoons sour cream
- 4 Tablespoons salted butter, softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 Tablespoon milk
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 F degrees. Grease a 1.5 quart loaf pan, set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, combine all the cake ingredients & mix together using an electric mixer.
- Pour batter into loaf baking dish. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean.
- Remove from oven & let cool in pan.
- For the Frosting: Mix all the frosting ingredients together using an electric mixer. Add a little more powdered sugar if too watery, add more milk if too thick.
- Frost cooled cake, top with sprinkles if desired.
This was not enough batter for a loaf pan. I made 2 mini loaves instead. I recommend doubling the recipe for a full sized loaf.