Apple Pie Bombs, Cannon Balls, Apple Dumplings.
Apple Pie Bombs also called Apple Dumplings or Cannon Balls are individually peeled and cored apples wrapped in a pie crust and filled/stuffed with a cinnamon and brown sugar filling. These are like mini apple pie balls.
These are really quick and easy to whip up. I made them last minute for a dessert after dinner. You can use homemade pie crust or store bought. I provide my no fail oil pie crust recipe below if you want to try it.
Recipe makes about 4 baked apples. You can cut the recipe in half and only make 2 apples if you want a very small batch.
These are best served and eaten warm from the oven because the apples give off a lot of juices and they will likely get soggy if left sitting for too long.
Make the glaze by mixing the powdered sugar, water and vanilla together and drizzle over the tops. Serve warm. New Favorite Fall Recipe!
- 4 apples cored and peeled
- -Pie Crust-
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- 2-3 Tablespoon cold water
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup brown sugar,
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 1 Tablespoon water
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 400 F. degrees. Bake for 25 minutes or until crust is golden brown.
- Prep filling by mixing brown sugar and cinnamon together in a small bowl and set aside.
- Prep the 4 apples by peeling them and coring them, set aside.
- Make the pie crust:
- Mix all ingredients together in bowl. Start with 2 Tablespoons of water, if it needs it add 1 more Tablespoon. Dough will look a little dry.
- Take the dough, form it into a ball with your hands.
- Take 2 pieces of waxed paper about 18" long and place the dough ball in between. Use a rolling pin to flatten the dough. I rolled mine to almost ⅛" thick. Whatever you prefer. You can roll it into a square.
- Divide into 4 equal pieces.
- Place the apples in the center, fill with brown sugar/cinnamon mix.
- Wrap and fold the pie crust around each apple, use a little water to seal the top closed.
- Place on a rimmed baking dish.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until crusts are golden brown.
- Let cool until warm.
- Make the glaze by mixing the powdered sugar, water, vanilla together and drizzle over the tops. Serve warm.