Chocolate Cake with Oreo Fluff Frosting
Love this cake!! Lots of chocolate and then a cream cheese oreo frosting, yum!
You could always cheat and buy a chocolate cake mix and just make the frosting too.
Make sure your cake is cold and the frosting is room temp before frosting the cake!!!! If your frosting is too thick and won’t spread easy you can always mix in a few tablespoons of milk to thin it out.
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup hot water
- ½ cup Dutch-processed cocoa powder
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk (or make your own buttermilk with vinegar- see below*)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 soft cream cheese 8 ounce
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cool whip 8 ounces
- about 12 oreos crushed
- The Cake: Preheat oven to 350˚F.
- Grease a 9x13" baking pan. Whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a bowl, set aside.
- Using a small bowl, whisk hot water, vanilla, & cocoa powder until smooth.
- Using an electric mixer beat the butter & sugar until light and fluffy. Add in 1 egg at a time. Add flour mixture in 3 additions, alternating with 2 additions of buttermilk, until combined. Reduce speed to low & slowly add cocoa mixture until incorporated.
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake for 28-34 min or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool completely.
- In large bowl mix cream cheese, powdered sugar and vanilla together until well combined. Fold in the cool whip and then fold in crushed oreos. Frost cake. Serve
- *To make one cup of buttermilk use one tablespoon of lemon juice or white vinegar and add enough milk to make one cup. Let mix stand for about five minutes and you have a buttermilk substitute.