These cookies have that amazing melt in your mouth texture.
Shortbread cookies are one of my all time favorite types of cookies. I’ve seriously never had a shortbread cookie I didn’t like whether it was homemade or store bought (and I don’t like store bought cookies normally). I’m crazy about sugar cookies too but the thing about shortbread cookies compared to sugar cookies is that they usually have less ingredients, these only have 5 ingredients! They are really simple & yet they are buttery deliciousness. I have never made a cookie that had more of a melt in your mouth texture as this recipe.
Since this cookie recipe doesn’t contain any leavening like baking soda or baking powder they won’t rise or really change there shape at all during baking so make sure you flatten them out to the thickness you want them to be before you place them in the oven. I like to use the bottom of a glass cup to flatten the cookies. This recipe made about 34 cookies but you can easily make half a recipe if you want to make less.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup salted butter, softened
- ½ cup confectioners sugar (powdered sugar)
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 cups confectioners sugar (powdered sugar)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 4 tablespoons milk
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line cookie sheets with silicone baking mats or parchment paper.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl add sugar & butter & beat with electric mixer on medium speed until light & fluffy (about 30 seconds).
- Add egg yolk & vanilla & mix on medium speed until combined.
- Gradually add flour to mixture & beat on medium speed until just combined.
- Roll dough into 1 inch balls & place on cookie sheets about 2 inches apart. Using the bottom of a cup or fork flatten the balls to about ¼ inch thick. (Use powdered sugar to coat the bottom of the cup to prevent the dough from sticking).
- Place in oven for 8-10 minutes & rotate cookie sheet halfway through baking.
- Remove from oven, after 2 minutes transfer baking mat/paper to wire rack to cool completely. Frost when cooled if desired.
- Frosting: Combine the confectioners sugar, vanilla, milk, & butter in a medium sized mixing bowl, beat with electric mixer on medium speed until frosting is smooth & creamy. If you want it thinner just add a little more milk or if you need it thicker add more milk until the desired consistency is achieved.
This recipe was adapted from Grace’s Sweet Life.