Homemade Bagels made in a Bread Machine or with a stand mixer fitted with dough hook.
These are pretty easy to make if you have a bread machine. You could also use a kitchenaid mixer with the dough hook. They are WAY better than store bought. Make sure you boil them in the honey or they will not be good!
These make medium size bagels (smaller than store). You can make larger ones but they will take a few more minutes in the oven.
Your dough should look like this after it mixes a few minutes. If it’s too dry add water by the tablespoon until it’s right or do the same thing with flour if it’s too wet.
- 1¼ cups warm water
- 2¼ teaspoons rapid rise yeast
- 4¼ cups flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons oil
- For Boiling:
- 4 cups water
- ¼ cup honey
- Add warm water and yeast to bread machine, let sit for 2 mins. Then add all the rest of the ingredients (except the 4 C of water and the honey) and set to dough cycle.
- Once dough is done, put out of floured surface and preheat oven to 475 degrees. Line 3 pans with parchment or non stick sheet. Divide dough into 18 pieces. Roll them out into a log shape and press the ends together. Let them rise for 15 mins.
- Put 4 cups of water and the honey in small medium pan and get to a boil. Drop 2-3 dough circles into the boiling mixture for 45 seconds flipping half way, and then place on the baking pans.
- Bake at 475 degrees for 9-11 mins. make sure you don't over bake.