Butterscotch Thumbprint Cookies.
Butterscotch Thumbprint Cookies are a soft sugar cookie filled with a homemade butterscotch sauce. You can also add caramel sauce. The difference between a caramel sauce vs. a butterscotch sauce is the type of sugar used. Butterscotch is made with brown sugar and caramel is made with regular sugar. I prefer butterscotch sauce. It is easy to make using only 3 ingredients.
Below is a photo (left) of the butterscotch sauce. Photo (right) is of the thumbprint cookies after they are baked.
The photos show the butterscotch sauce before it is set. It will harden after sitting 20 minutes or so but it still remains a little on the soft side and doesn’t harden completely like royal icing.
Recipe makes about 32 cookies depending on the actual size you make them.
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ cup plus 3 Tablespoons soft butter (I used salted, if using unsalted add ¼ teaspoon salt)
- ½ cup + 3 Tablespoon sugar
- 1 large egg
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- -Butterscotch sauce-
- ⅓ cup packed brown sugar
- ¼ cup salted butter (4 Tablespoons)
- 2 Tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 350 F. degrees.
- In small bowl mix flour and baking powder together. In large bowl with mixer, cream together the butter and sugar, add in eggs and vanilla until well combined. Slowly add in the flour mixture.
- Take a tablespoon of dough, roll into ball and put on ungreased cookie sheet. Push your thumb down in the middle.
- Bake at 350 F. degrees for 11-13 mins. Remove from oven and let cool.
- Prepare butterscotch sauce: Combine brown sugar and butter in a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until it begins to boil. Continue cooking for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat. Stir in whipping cream.
- Cool sauce for 15 minutes.
- Spoon about a ½ teaspoon into the middle of each cookie. Let set and butterscotch will harden some.