Heart Shaped Icing Filled Thumbprint Cookies for Valentine’s Day.
Heart Shaped Icing Filled Thumbprint Cookies for Valentine’s Day topped with pink sprinkles. These are a shortbread/sugar cookie that is filled with a glaze. I love thumbprint cookies and thought it would be cute to make heart shaped ones for Valentine’s Day, the day of love, holiday.
I used dye free sprinkles from Whole Foods because they use food to naturally get the pink color but it’s more of a faint pink. It would be cute to add food coloring to the glaze though to make red or pink hearts.
I used my index finger to make 2 indentations in the shape of a heart, see photos above. I used my hand to perfect the shape a little at the bottom or top on some of the cookies, pinching the bottom a little to get more of a point.
When it came to the glaze I used a small spoon to careful add the glaze into the heart shape. The glaze will harden some but it still stays slightly soft after setting.
Recipe makes about 32 cookies depending on the exact size you make them. I tried to make mine into 1″ balls using about a teaspoon of cookie dough.
- ⅔ cup salted butter, softened
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 large egg yolks, yolks only
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- (1/2 teaspoon salt, if using unsalted butter)
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 2½ Tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 375 F. degrees.
- Combine butter and sugar together in a mixing bowl. Mix in egg yolks and vanilla. Mix in flour until cookie dough forms.
- Scoop a teaspoon of cookie dough and roll into a 1" ball, place on ungreased cookie sheet. Repeat with rest of dough.
- Use your finger to make two overlapping indentations in the shape of a heart, see photos above. You may need to use your hands to perfect the shape a little.
- Bake for 7-10 minutes or until edges are just starting to turn golden brown.
- Let cookies cool completely.
- Make the glaze by mixing the powdered sugar and heavy whipping cream together, you may need to add a little more of one ingredient to get a glaze consistency.
- Use a small spoon to pour a little into each heart shape, top with sprinkles if desired or add red food coloring to the glaze to tint it pink or red.