Light and airy sour cream dinner rolls.
I love bread, how could I not? I grew up with my Mom making fresh bread almost on a daily basis. Naturally my Mom is always trying new bread recipes so I originally tried one of her sour cream rolls then I craved them so much that I ended up making up my own recipe for them. I love these Sour Cream Rolls because they have a slightly unique flavor, the sour cream gives it a bit of a tangy flavor after each bite but it’s very mild. The roll itself is light & airy. The inside is soft & moist. I usually end up eating three of them straight from the oven while they are still warm.
Make this recipe with or without the help of a bread machine. When I am making bread I usually end up using my bread machine because I don’t have a mixer with a dough hook & I am usually too lazy to knead it by hand. I usually bake these in a 9×13″ pan but this time I decided to make mine using two cookie sheets. You can also bake them in a muffin pan, it really just depends on what shape you want your rolls to be. I made mine on a cookie sheet because I wanted them to look more like little hamburger buns.
- 2¼ cups all-purpose flour (+1-2 Tablespoons)
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 2¼ Teaspoons quick-rise yeast (or 1 packet of yeast)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup milk
- ¼ cup water
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1 egg
- If your using a bread machine to mix your dough: add the flour, sugar, yeast, salt, & egg to the bread machine pan. In a microwave safe container add sour cream, milk, water, & butter and microwave for about 30 seconds then add to bread machine pan. Set your machine to "dough" setting then after a few minutes use a rubber spatula to scrap any remaining flour that may be stuck on the sides (this is also a good time to check to see if your dough is too sticky, I had to add an extra tablespoon of flour, you want the dough to look like the 3rd picture I have shown above). Now sit back & let your machine work (usually this setting takes 1-1.5 hours). You can SKIP steps 2-3).
- If your not using a bread machine start here: In a large bowl, combine 1-1/2 cups flour, sugar, yeast and salt. In a microwave safe dish, heat sour cream, water, & milk for 30 seconds; add to dry ingredients. In a separately dish melt 2 tablespoons butter in microwave for 15 seconds & add to flour mixture. Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. Add egg and ½ cup flour; beat 2 minutes longer. Stir in remaining flour to form a soft dough. (You may need to add 1-2 Tbsp. more of flour if it's too sticky).
- Place onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased/oiled bowl, turn once to grease the ball of dough. Cover and let rise in a warm place until double in size, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto floured surface; separate into 12 pieces. Shape them into balls. Place in a greased 13x9" baking pan or onto greased cookie sheets. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 400° for 15-18 minutes or until the tops & bottoms are a light golden brown.