This recipe came from my friend Jody. We were in a mom’s group called MOPS (mothers of preschoolers) together and we would meet twice a month and everyone took turns bringing in brunch food to share. Jody brought this and EVERYONE asked her for the recipe, including myself. It’s great to make the night before and then just pop in the oven in the morning. I am also not a nut person, except of an occasional piece of pecan pie but I love this recipe even with the nuts.
You can serve with maple syrup, but it’s not really needed.
French Toast Casserole
Recipe type: Brunch
- 1 loaf of French or Italian bread torn/cut into 1 in pieces
- 1 tablespoon soft butter
- 8 eggs
- 2½ cups whole milk
- 1½ cups heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 8 tablespoons butter
- 1⅓ cups packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 2 cups chopped pecans
- Heat oven to 325
- spread bread out over 2 baking sheets and bake until dry and light golden brown, about 20 min.
- coat 9x13 baking dish with butter and pack the bread into the dish.
- whisk eggs in a large bowl
- then whisk in milk, cream, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, and nutmeg
- pour the egg mixture evenly over the bread
- press bread to submerge
- stir the butter, brown sugar, and corn syrup together until smooth
- stir in pecans
- put the topping in an air tight container
- cover bread and egg mixture with plastic wrap
- refrigerate both for 7 or more hours. No more than 24.
- Preheat oven to 350
- unwrap casserole and sprinkle the topping over the top evenly
- place casserole on a rimmed baking sheet and place on middle rack of oven
- bake until puffed and golden about 60 min.
- serve immediately
Leave a Comment