Cut-out sugar cookies covered in sprinkles & made to look like Peeps Marshmallow Bunnies!
Peeps Marshmallow Bunnies are the first candy that comes to mind when I think of Easter candy. They always come in such eye catching colors, you can’t help but notice them at the grocery stores. My niece absolutely loves them! I think they are too cute myself, I love the bright pink, yellow, & blue ones & now they have even more colors like orange & green. So if your like me & love the bright colored peeps then I think you will like making these sugar cookie look-a-likes. They were fun to make & you can make them any color you like.
I used the Wilton brand PEEPS Cookie Cutter to make the bunny shapes, mine was purchased on Amazon but I’ve also seen it for sale at Target & I believe most of the craft/fabric stores carry it also. For this recipe I used my favorite cut out sugar cookie recipe from allrecipes.com. I love it because the cookies don’t loose their shape. I used a simple sugar cookie glaze then I sprinkled colored sugar-sprinkles on top. I used mini-chocolate chips for the eyes & nose which I though was easier than trying to mix up some brown/black colored glaze. I used a knife to trim the tips off the chocolate chips so they would lay flat on the cookies.
I used a knife to spread the sugar cookie glaze on. I placed the cookie on a sheet of paper & used a spoon to sprinkle the sprinkles onto the cookie. Then I tipped the cookie over on the paper to shake off the excess sprinkles. Then I put picked up the paper & poured the sprinkles that had fallen off back into a bowl to reuse for the rest of the cookies.
- -Sugar Cookie Dough-
- 12 tablespoon salted butter, softened (or 1 stick plus 4 tablespoons)
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- -Sugar Cookie Glaze-
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 4 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- +mini chocolate chips for eyes & nose
- Mix softened butter & sugar together. Beat in eggs & vanilla. Stir in flour & baking powder. Cover & chill in fridge for at least 1 hour (or overnight).
- Preheat oven 400 degrees F. Roll dough out between two pieces of waxed paper, sprinkles with powdered sugar (to prevent sticking). Roll to ¼" thick. Cut into bunny shapes with a cookie cutter. Place 1" apart on ungreased cookie sheets.
- Bake 6-8 minutes or until the cookies are set. After 5 minutes move to cooling rack & cool completely.
- Prepare glaze:
- Mix powered sugar, milk, & vanilla together until all the powered sugar is dissolved. You may need to add a little more milk or powdered sugar to get the right consistency. You want it fairly thick so it doesn't run off the cookie.
- Use a knife to spread the glaze across the cookie. Sprinkle top of cookie right away with sprinkles before the glaze dries. Add mini-chocolate chips for eyes & nose
This post contains amazon affiliate links.