Cut-out sugar cookies covered in sprinkles & made to look like Peeps Marshmallow Bunnies!
Peeps Marshmallow Bunnies are the first candy that comes to mind when I think of Easter candy. They always come in such eye catching colors, you can’t help but notice them at the grocery stores. My niece absolutely loves them! I think they are too cute myself, I love the bright pink, yellow, & blue ones & now they have even more colors like orange & green. So if your like me & love the bright colored peeps then I think you will like making these sugar cookie look-a-likes. They were fun to make & you can make them any color you like.
I used the Wilton brand PEEPS Cookie Cutter to make the bunny shapes, mine was purchased on Amazon but I’ve also seen it for sale at Target & I believe most of the craft/fabric stores carry it also. For this recipe I used my favorite cut out sugar cookie recipe from allrecipes.com. I love it because the cookies don’t loose their shape. I used a simple sugar cookie glaze then I sprinkled colored sugar-sprinkles on top. I used mini-chocolate chips for the eyes & nose which I though was easier than trying to mix up some brown/black colored glaze. I used a knife to trim the tips off the chocolate chips so they would lay flat on the cookies.
I used a knife to spread the sugar cookie glaze on. I placed the cookie on a sheet of paper & used a spoon to sprinkle the sprinkles onto the cookie. Then I tipped the cookie over on the paper to shake off the excess sprinkles. Then I put picked up the paper & poured the sprinkles that had fallen off back into a bowl to reuse for the rest of the cookies.
- -Sugar Cookie Dough-
- 12 tablespoon salted butter, softened (or 1 stick plus 4 tablespoons)
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- -Sugar Cookie Glaze-
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 4 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- +mini chocolate chips for eyes & nose
- Mix softened butter & sugar together. Beat in eggs & vanilla. Stir in flour & baking powder. Cover & chill in fridge for at least 1 hour (or overnight).
- Preheat oven 400 degrees F. Roll dough out between two pieces of waxed paper, sprinkles with powdered sugar (to prevent sticking). Roll to ¼" thick. Cut into bunny shapes with a cookie cutter. Place 1" apart on ungreased cookie sheets.
- Bake 6-8 minutes or until the cookies are set. After 5 minutes move to cooling rack & cool completely.
- Prepare glaze:
- Mix powered sugar, milk, & vanilla together until all the powered sugar is dissolved. You may need to add a little more milk or powdered sugar to get the right consistency. You want it fairly thick so it doesn't run off the cookie.
- Use a knife to spread the glaze across the cookie. Sprinkle top of cookie right away with sprinkles before the glaze dries. Add mini-chocolate chips for eyes & nose
This post contains amazon affiliate links.
Megan - The Emotional Baker says
These are so awesome! A great way to get my non peep eating dad to get in the true Easter spirit (’cause it’s not Easter without peeps!)
Thanks Megan! So true, these cookies are a great alternative for those who don’t like the marshmallow Peeps. :)
We love the peeps recipes! This and the sunflower cake are both awesome. Can’t wait to try them :)
Thank you so much! :)
Hi Holly and Katie,
I’d like to make these cute cookies and mail them to my grandkids. Does the icing dry hard enough so they can be stacked and packaged?
Hi Christine, I’m not sure the icing hardens enough to remain in intact in shipping, it also depends on the temperature. You might need to add corn syrup to have it harden more.