I had never tried or heard of these cookies until we were at a little brewery in Michigan. We had stopped to try their beer and they had these cookies on the counter. They were sooooo good! They are caramelized, crispy, sandwich cookies with chocolate in the middle.
For all you beer people out here these are AMAZING with an IPA or Pale Ale. You would never think to put the two together but you need to try it!!
A few tips on making these:
I made them with semi sweet chocolate chips, but next time I will definitely use dark chocolate chips.
I was not fast enough and the cookies were starting to cool before I could add the chocolate chips to them. I ended up microwaving the cookies with the chips in them for about 8 seconds to melt them and then I squeezed them together.
- 1 cup soft butter
- 2¼ cups light brown sugar
- 2¼ cups rolled oats
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup dark or semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees, line baking sheets with parchment paper
- Heat butter and brown sugar in saucepan over medium heat, stir until butter has melted and mixture is smooth. Remove from heat and let sit for 2 mins. Stir in oats, flour, salt, egg and vanilla.
- Drop about a tablespoon of batter onto cookie sheets leaving at least 2-3 inches in between cookies. Bake for 5-7 mins, just until the edges of the cookies start to caramelize. Allow the cookies to cool for a few mins. then flip one over, add a hand full of chocolate chips and then put another cookie on top of the chips. Let it sit for a few mins then press down when the chips are melted.
Sarah R. says
Quick question: Since the flour content is so low, I was wanting to make these gluten free. Can you give me an idea of what flour to substitute white flour in this recipe? Can I use oat flour instead? Thanks!
Hi Sarah, I’ve never tried making them gluten free so I’m not 100% sure, oat flour might work out just fine but gluten-free all-purpose flour might be a better option. Thanks!
Recipe was awesome but my total cook time wasway longer…I used a 1T cookie scoop ….I melted bittersweet chocolate chips in microwave then put a healthy smear between to cookies..I found that easiest for me…..
Glad you like them. Thanks for letting me know about the time, I will look into that.