I really thought this recipe was going to be a disaster! When I cut the cake into 4 layers they were all lopsided and one broke. Then I started adding the sherbet/ice cream and it was melting everywhere and running down the sides. I was like well I made it this far, I should just finish it. Then I froze it. When I took it out it was still looking pretty sad but then I frosted it with the cool whip and froze it again. I pulled it out of the freezer to cut it and it looked pretty good, then I cut into it and WOW, it looked great. You couldn’t tell it was a melty mess earlier, so don’t get frustrated while your making this. It will turn out just fine :)
It’s a great summer recipe and you can use any flavor sherbet and skip the blue moon ice cream if you want. I think I will try raspberry and lemon next time. The red, white, & blue colors make this cake a great recipe choice for the 4th of July this weekend.
I DON’T THINK YOU BELIEVE ME ABOUT HOW BAD THIS THING LOOK WHILE PUTTING IT TOGETHER SO:
I KEEP LAUGHING EVERY TIME I LOOK AT THESE PICS!
- 1 Prepared Angel Food Cake (regular or sugar free)
- About 2 cups of raspberry sherbet
- About 2 cups of blue moon ice cream
- 12 or 16 oz cool whip tub (thawed)
- Freeze Angel Food Cake for about an hour, while leaving the blue moon and sherbet in the refrigerator to soften.
- Using a long serrated knife, cut cake horizontally into four layers. Place bottom layer on serving plate; spread with sherbet. Repeat using blue moon for the next layer, then sherbet again for the next layer. Top with remaining cake layer. Freeze, covered, until sherbet is firm, about 1-2 hours.
- After it is very firm spread with lots of cool whip.
- Freeze again for a least an hour.
- Take out of freezer about 10 mins before your ready to serve.