Honey Bun Cake 100% from scratch, made without a cake mix.
I’ve been seeing pictures of Honey Bun Cake on pinterest lately but every recipe I click on calls for a boxed cake mix. I like to make things from scratch if at all possible so I decided to make a new version of Honey Bun Cake made without having to use a cake mix from the store. So if you’ve been searching like me & trying to find a recipe for Honey Bun Cake that doesn’t require a store bought cake mix then I have the perfect recipe for you!
In case your wondering Honey Bun Cake tastes like a cinnamon roll…like a really, really good cinnamon roll…like one of the best cinnamon rolls I’ve ever had, only in cake form!
I have to warn you, the batter is a little on the thick side & when you spread the top half of the batter on, things may look a little messy. I was a little worried that I was creating a disaster but when it came out of the oven & I sliced the first piece I knew all was well.
- 2¼ cups all purpose flour
- 1½ cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 cup sour cream
- ⅛ cup vegetable oil (or 2 Tablespoons)
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) butter, softened (I used salted butter)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 3 eggs
- -Streusel- (for the middle)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- -Glaze-(for topping)
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 4-5 Tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9x13" baking pan.
- Combine flour, sugar, & baking powder, stir & set aside.
- In another mixing bowl combine softened butter, sour cream, vegetable oil, vanilla, & eggs & mix well. Add in the flour/sugar mixture. Stir well.
- Pour half of the batter in prepared baking pan & smooth it down with a spatula.
- Mix the brown sugar & cinnamon together in a small bowl & sprinkle over the batter.
- Now add the remaining batter & smooth it over the brown sugar/cinnamon mix.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until the top is golden brown & a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Prepare the glaze by mixing the ingredients together in a bowl until a smooth spreading consistency is reached.
- Once the cake comes out of the oven, use a fork to prick holes in the top of the cake. Pour glaze over cake & quickly spread it out with a knife or the back of a spoon. Let cool for about 1 hour.