White Texas Sheet Cake: super moist, thin, & easy to make!
So awhile ago my sister posted a recipe for Chocolate Texas Sheet Cake which she loves to make because she prefers chocolate cake over vanilla. Me on the other hand, I prefer vanilla. I didn’t know a vanilla version of the Texas Sheet Cake existed until recently. As soon as I found out I put it on my list of things to try baking. Yes, I have a long list of things I want to bake, its a never ending list. Some recipes get bumped to the top of the list, this was one of those recipes.
I love this cake. It’s very similar to one of my other favorite cake recipes only this one is much easier to make.
I’d classify this cake as super moist, thin, & easy to make cake. It’s a great cake to make for parties. This recipe calls for a jelly roll pan that is 15″x 10″x 1″ which makes a nice thin cake. If you only want to make half a recipe you can use a 11″ x 8″ pan. I’ve done it before & it turns out just fine. Also you can use almond extract or vanilla extract (whichever you prefer) for this recipe.
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter (I used salted)
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups All-Purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon almond extract (or vanilla)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cup (1 stick) butter (I used salted)
- ¼ cup milk
- 4½ cups powdered sugar
- ½ teaspoon almond extract (or vanilla)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease a 15"x10"x1" baking pan.
- In a medium sized saucepan, bring butter and water to boil.
- In a large bowl, combine flour and sugar. Mix. Add in eggs, sour cream, almond extract (or vanilla), & baking soda. Slowly pour in the boiling butter/water mixture. Stir until smooth.
- Pour into greased baking pan. Bake at 375 degrees F. for 20-22 minutes or until golden brown & toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool cake for 20 minutes.
- For Frosting: In a mixing bowl add powdered sugar & almond extract & set aside.
- In a medium sized saucepan, add ½ cup butter and ¼ cup milk. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat, and pour into bowl of powdered sugar/almond extract. Stir until smooth and combined. Spread over warm cake. (If frosting is too thick add a little extra milk)
adapted slightly from: allrecipes.com