I know, I just made a Giant M&M Candy Corn Cookie, but I gave my mom a piece of it and she said it would look good frosted. Well a frosted chocolate chip recipe doesn’t sound as good as a frosted sugar cookie so I started from scratch and this is round two! This is a “sugar” cookie with cream cheese frosting, so totally different recipe :)
You will need three different colors of frosting. About a cup of white and 2 cups of yellow, and 2 cups of orange. For the food coloring I just had droppers of regular food coloring. On the back of the box it said 2 drops of red and 3 drops of yellow to get the orange. I did 6 drops of red and 9 of yellow to get this color orange. I added about 6 drops of yellow to get this color of yellow.
I don’t have very many cake decorating tips because I don’t use them often, so this is a zip lock baggie with the corner cut off. Since I used a star shaped tip, after I frosted each color I used the back of a spoon to smooth out the frosting.
Don’t get frustrated if your lines don’t look good, or if you end up off center a little (like I did), it will still look great once you smooth the frosting and cut it into pieces.
- 1½ sticks melted butter (12 tablespoons)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 tablespoon sour cream
- 2¼ cups flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- Cream Cheese Frosting:
- ½ cup soft butter
- 8 oz soft cream cheese
- 2 tablespoon milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4-5 cups of powdered sugar
- food coloring
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees
- Line a pizza pan with parchment paper
- In large bowl mix together butter, sugar, eggs, sour cream and vanilla, in small bowl mix together flour, salt, and baking soda. Slowly add the flour mixture to the butter mixture.
- Spread dough onto cookie sheet staying 1-2 inches from the edge
- Bake for 13-15 mins. Let cool.
- Mix all the frosting ingredients together in bowl, divide and add food coloring.
- Frost and serve.
Megan - The Emotional Baker says
What a great festive cookie! I’m glad you took your mom’s advice – although I love both versions equally ;)
Thanks Megan! I guess Mom always knows best, even at my age :)