Snowball Cookies (Without Nuts)
I love Snowball Cookies, they look so appealing with all that fluffy powdered sugar coating. However, I don’t like nuts in my baked goods plus there are several people in my family with nut allergies so I wanted to make these with no nuts added. I didn’t know if it was possible but after looking at the recipe I noticed that it’s just a basic shortbread cookie with nuts in it. I omitted the nuts & it turned out just fine.
If you still want to make Snowball Cookies with nuts just add 3/4 cup nuts to the recipe & you can have traditional Snowball Cookies still.
You Roll the dough into 1″ balls. I used a non stick baking mat because it helps to keep the cookies from spreading out when they bake but its not required.
You don’t want to over bake the cookies, take them out when they are set, the bottoms will be a light golden color. Mine were done in 9 minutes.
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, soft (I used salted)
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2¼ cups all purpose flour
- + 1 cup powdered sugar for coating
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Using a large mixing bowl, mix butter & powdered sugar together. Add in vanilla extract.
- Add flour & mix until soft dough ball forms.
- Roll dough into 1" balls & place on ungreased cookie sheet (I used a nonstick baking mat).
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until cookies are set but not browning.
- Remove from oven, let cool for a few minutes then roll in a bowl of powdered sugar. Place on cooling rack to cool, then roll in powdered sugar again.
recipe adapted from Betty Crocker