Old Fashioned Lemon Bread Recipe
This lemon bread is like cake and very moist. You can add more or less lemon to your liking, but I like mine just a little lemony. Another reason I love this recipe is that you should have all the ingredients on hand. A lot of the other recipes called for lemon extract or lemon flavored pudding.
For the lemon rind, I used a small hand held grater. The trick is to just get the top yellow part. Once you get down too far, the white is bitter and you don’t want that when your baking. The lemons I used where small, so it took about 1 1/2 of them.
For the icing you can add more powdered sugar to make it thicker, or double the lemon and sugar if your want more icing.
- ½ cup soft butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1½ cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup sour cream
- ⅓ cup milk
- 1½ teaspoons lemon rind/zest ( from 1-1½ lemons)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour 1 loaf pan.
- In large bowl mix butter and sugar together. Add eggs and vanilla, mix until smooth. In a small bowl mix the flour, baking powder and salt together. Add half of the flour mixture to the large bowl and mix, add in the sour cream and milk, and then the rest of the flour mixture. Mix until combined, then add the lemon rind in.
- Add mixture to the loaf pan. Bake for 55-60 mins or until a tooth pick inserted in center of bread comes out clean. Let cool 10 mins then transfer to cooling rack. Let cool completely.
- Mix the fresh lemon juice and powdered sugar together (add more powdered sugar if your want it thicker. Drizzle the icing on the cooled bread.