Perfect Homemade Hot Dog Buns. These Hot Dog buns have just the right texture & flavor.
It’s that time of the year again for grilling hot dogs & hamburgers! Now I’ve made hamburger buns many times but I’ve never made hot dog buns until now! I guess because I usually eat more hamburgers then hot dogs but its summertime & I’ve been wanting a grilled hot dog for a change.
I’ve shared the images above so you can see how to shape them. You divide the dough into 8 pieces, roll each piece into a 3×5″ rectangle (doesn’t need to be perfect). Then fold it to the center on one side then fold the other side on top of that. Flip it over, tuck the ends under a little, place on cookie sheet about 1″ apart. Let rise.
I love homemade bread. These hot dog buns taste better then the store bought ones. They are made without all those weird unhealthy preservative ingredients and without high fructose corn syrup.
These are pretty easy to make. I know it takes 2 hours of rising time or as I call it waiting time but the amount of hands on time it takes to make these homemade hot dogs buns is actually very little.
Makes 8 hot dog buns.
- 2 teaspoons yeast
- ¾ cup warm water
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 egg + 1 egg yolk (save egg white for brushing buns)
- 2 Tablespoons oil (or butter melted)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup sugar
- --Egg Wash--
- egg white + 2 Tablespoons water
- *Add all ingredients together in the order listed then knead dough using your favorite method (by hand, bread machine, or stand mixer with dough hook) for 10 minutes until dough is smooth & elastic.
- Cover & let rise 1 hour or until double in size.
- Divide dough into 8 equal pieces.
- Roll each piece on lightly floured surface into a 3x5" rectangle.
- Take the top (long side of rectangle) and fold to the center length wise, take the bottom piece and fold to the center length wise also. Flip over, gently tuck the end pieces under and place on greased cookie sheet. Place each roll ½-1" apart so they support each other & rise upwards.
- Let rise for 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- After rising brush with egg wash (to make egg wash whisk egg white & water together with fork).
- Preheat oven to 375 F. degrees.
- Bake 15 minutes or until tops are golden brown.
*I make this using my breadmachine & just add all the ingredients together (I like to start by adding the yeast & water then everything else) & let my machine knead it for 10 min. on the dough setting then I turn it off. If your hand mixing you can add the ingredients to large mixing bowl, begin stirring with a large wooden spoon until dough ball forms then move to a lightly floured surface to knead.