This is the very first ginger cookie that I have ever made, ever! I have no idea why, because I do like them and my husband loved them. He said they were his favorite out of all the cookies I had baked this week.
Then he said the unthinkable, “they would be better with raisins”. I told him that if I ever put raisins in anything that I’m baking, he can drive me straight to the funny farm because I must have lost my mind. :)
These cookies are soft and chewy and very easy to make. You don’t have to put the frosting on if you don’t want to, they are really good with or without it.
Soft Ginger Molasses Cookies with Cream Cheese Frosting
Recipe type: dessert
- 1½ cups soft butter
- 2 cups sugar
- ½ cup molasses
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups flour
- 3 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves (optional)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- additional sugar for rolling dough in
- ½ cup butter, soft
- 8 oz soft cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 4-5 cups of powdered sugar (depending on how thin, thick your want it)
- In large bowl mix butter and sugar on high until well combined, then add in molasses, eggs and vanilla and mix.
- In medium bowl mix flour, soda, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, cloves and salt. Slowly add this mixture to the big bowl and mix until combined.
- Put dough in refrigerator and preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Keep the dough in the refrigerator for 15-30 mins. Put about ½ cup sugar in a bowl, then roll the dough into 1 inch balls and roll in the sugar. Place on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake for 8-10 mins. Don't over cook or they will be crunchy. Let cool completely then frost.
- Frosting: Put cream cheese in medium bowl and mix on medium for 30 seconds. Add all the other ingredients and mix until combined and fluffy.
Megan - The Emotional Baker says
It took me awhile to make ginger cookies, too – but I was so happy when I did. & go ahead and try a batch with raisins – they’ll be like hermit bars – surprisingly delicious :)
Maybe I will have to make them for Christmas. I have never had the hermit bars, now I will have to give them a try :)
I have made these so many times over the past couple of years. They are a family favorite. By far my favore ginger molasses cookie recipe to date.